We present the research of the Youth Organization “STAN” “Brave Youth. Entrepreneurial skills and social school entrepreneurship“ (WG4 UNP) in the framework of the initiative of the same name.
We continue to share the results of initiatives supported by the UNP in 2021 under the project “Support to the Ukrainian National Platform of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum (UNP EaP CSF) in 2021-2023”, administered by the Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting funded by the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum and the European Union.
Purpose of the initiative. Promote the development of youth skills for a positive impact on the formation of economic and financial stability and development of young people
The initiative was implemented in cooperation with the Department of Education and Science, the Department of Youth and Sports, as well as the Department of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development of Ivano-Frankivsk City Council.
Desk Research was conducted to analyze the current Social Entrepreneurship Development Programs. A superficial analysis of the approaches of the City Employment Centers to the formation of economic and financial stability and development for young people was also conducted. A database of 30 most famous social enterprises of Ivano-Frankivsk was created and 16 interviews with their founders and key staff were conducted.
Based on the information received, an analytical report was created in Ukrainian and English and a “Map of Social Enterprises of Ivano-Frankivsk” was developed. This map was written by a team of young researchers from Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan for young people who want to develop their own entrepreneurial skills and create their own school and youth companies. The map is easy to use for both individual activists and organized groups. It is ideal for organizing study visits for young people from other communities, learning best practices at the local level, developing cooperation.
Results of the initiative.
The analytical report formed the basis of educational projects for young people. In particular, in collaboration with UNICEF, the study will use the financial literacy of 3,000 adolescents from 10 child- and youth-friendly communities.
During 2021, 11 initiative groups from Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus and Kyrgyzstan took part in tours of social enterprises in Ivano-Frankivsk on the basis of a map.
The local self-government bodies of the Ivano-Frankivsk Territorial Community received meaningful recommendations on the implementation of the Strategies for the Development of Social Entrepreneurship and the Development of Entrepreneurial Skills among Youth during consultations.
More than 50 entrepreneurs, CSO and local government authorities representatives took part in discussions and presentations of the results.
The map and information about the project were published in 3 national and 5 regional media. About 50,000 residents of the region and the country as a whole received information with examples of key social enterprises.
An online presentation “Maps of social enterprises” was held on January 31, 2022 (VIDEO). During the presentation, the results of the initiative on how it will help develop social school entrepreneurship in the Ivano-Frankivsk community were announced and the Map of Social Enterprises, which was created specifically for young people, was described in more detail. It was also about social enterprises operating in the city, about their social impact.
During the implementation of the initiative, meetings were held with the leadership of the Department of Education and Science and the Department of Economic Development, Ecology and Energy Conservation of Ivano-Frankivsk City Council to promote social school entrepreneurship in Ivano-Frankivsk community.
The youth organization “STAN” initiated a letter of cooperation in the direction of promoting social school entrepreneurship.
The leadership of both departments supported the initiative of the Youth Organization “Stan” in the need to develop social school entrepreneurship in the Ivano-Frankivsk community.
After the working meetings it was agreed that the Youth Organization “STAN” takes responsibility for:
- conducting introductory interactive trainings (duration 2.5 hours) for groups of students in grades 8-11 in 10 educational institutions during 2022;
- comprehensive training of 10 social school entrepreneurship teams from selected institutions of secondary education and vocational education during 2022;
- providing the premises of the human rights youth resource center of the Youth Organization “STAN” to work with youth in the implementation of the Program for the development of social entrepreneurship in the Ivano-Frankivsk city territorial community for 2021-2023.
In turn, the Department of Education and Science:
- will help to improve the skills of teachers in the field of social school entrepreneurship through a free online course “Social School Entrepreneurship”;
- will recommend an elective course on the topic of social school entrepreneurship in institutions of secondary education and vocational education;
- will recommend the heads of educational institutions to inform students of 8-11 grades from 10-15 educational institutions about participation in introductory interactive trainings on social school entrepreneurship during 2021-2022;
- will recommend involving young people with special educational needs, young people in difficult life circumstances, representatives of vulnerable groups in the social school entrepreneurship.
Department of Economic Development, Ecology and Energy Conservation of Ivano-Frankivsk City Council
- will hold an open competition for participation in an in-depth course on social school entrepreneurship among school teams;
- will promote the involvement of business experts to mentor young people during the launch of the social school entrepreneurship;
- will provide incentive prizes to participants of social school entrepreneurship training events;
- if necessary, provide facilities for educational events for young people;
- will contribute to the receipt of micro-grant funding for teams that will successfully complete comprehensive training on social school entrepreneurship in 2022.
The project involved: NGO “Novi Viziyi” (Lviv), separate units of the National Youth Council of Ukraine (Zhytomyr, Ivano-Frankivsk), Foundation for the Development of Social School Entrepreneurship “School of Me” (Kyiv), Municipal Enterprise “Center for Educational Innovation” (Ivano-Frankivsk) ), Space of Home Education “Nevhamovni” (Ivano-Frankivsk) and School Company “MonstroNyamky” (Ivano-Frankivsk).
DOWNLOAD Analytical report “Brave Youth: Approaches to Developing Entrepreneurial Skills among Youth” was created by experts in social entrepreneurship and youth involvement in decision-making Yaroslav Minkin, Mariya Protsak, Andrii Volyk and Svitlana Zelenska.
Presentation of the initiative
Video recording of presentations of initiatives at the Annual Conference of the UNP EaP CSC, November 9-10, 2021
The initiative was implemented within the framework of the project “Support to the activities of the UNP EaP CSF in 2021-2023”, funded by the European Union, the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum and implemented by the Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting.