Members of WG3 UNP, National Environmental Center of Ukraine, International Charitable Organization “Information Center Green Dossier”, International Charitable Organization “Environment-People-Law” started implementation of the initiative “Strategic Environmental Assessment of Community Development Strategies as a Tool for their Sustainable Development” within the project “Supporting the activities of the Ukrainian National Platform of the EaP CSF in 2021-2023” that is carried out by the Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting (IER) with the financial support of the European Union.
Name of the initiative: Strategic Environmental Assessment of Community Development Strategies as a Tool for their Sustainable Development
Organisations: National Environmental Center of Ukraine, International Charitable Organization ” Information Center Green Dossier”, International Charitable Organization “Environment-People-Law”)
Duration of the project: 16.07.2021 – 15.12.2021
Aim of the initiative is to promote effective strategic planning across Ukraine by using proper application SEO tool.
Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) is a tool that communities can use for smart and long-term planning of a balanced development of their territories.
What is this initiative about?
Initiative is about powerful democratic tool, approved by the legislation of Ukraine, which is not yet used properly at regional and local level, which is not very well known by communities, and which some governmental structures tend to ignore.
Show how SEA can be applied for an effective strategic planning, for intelligent development of territories and communities.
Tamara Malkova, Head of International Charitable Organization “Information Center Green Dossier” (WG3 UNP):
Objectives of our activity
We conduct surveys of local NGOs regarding problems of conducting SEA regional development strategies for communities. We analyze the results gained and develop consultative measures on their basis in three areas. We prepare an analytical document that consists of:
1) Highlighting current situation with regard to the SEA regional development programs and the causes of the current situation;
2) Providing positive and negative examples;
3) Developing recommendations for both: community level and regional level through advisory activities to regional programs and government structures responsible for developing local development strategies.
Reasons of our activity
European integration and Euro-Atlantic aspirations of Ukraine to become an active participant in the European Green Course, activities at the international and governmental level, progressive initiatives regarding environmentalization in all spheres of our lives must comprehensively embody at the level of territorial communities and regions in strategic development plans and local environmental programs. Unfortunately, this does not happen today.
The outcome of our activity
– Results of the survey and regional consultations, suggestions and comments will form the basis of analytical document.
– Analytical document (available at platform website and at member organizations websites, widespread to regional and national structures that are responsible for the development of regional/local development strategies, discussion at the final conference, recommendations of the analytical document taken into account by state structures and consulting institutions) will be distributed and used by interested organizations for implementation of the national environmental policy and principles of sustainable development in the regions of Ukraine.